Active Shooter Threat Reponse
RUN (Take Flight)
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Leave belongings behind.
- Help others escape if possible.
- Prevent others from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
- Keep your hands visible.
- Follow the instructions of any police officers.
- Do not attempt to move wounded people.
- Contact Amtrak Police when it is safe to do so.
HIDE (Take Cover)
If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide where the active shooter is less likely to find you.
Your hiding place should:
- Be out of the active threat’s view.
- Provide protection if shots are fired in your direction (i.e. an office with a closed and locked door).
- Not trap you or restrict your options for movement.
- Lock and barricade the door.
- Silence your cell phone and/or pager and any other source of noise.
- Hide behind large items. Remain quiet.
If evacuation and hiding are not possible remain calm, and contact Amtrak Police or call 911 or text APD11 (27311) to alert of active threat and location.
FIGHT (Take Action)
As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter by:
- Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her.
- Throwing items and improvising weapons.
- Committing to your actions.
- CALL POLICE ONLY WHEN It IS SAFE TO DO SO.